This post has already been read at least 111 times!
Tension erupted across parts of Akure, the Ondo State capital, on Monday after suspected political thugs disrupted the All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial primary election for the Ondo Central Senatorial District with gunfire and machete attacks.
The violence, which occurred at Ward 5, Okelisa, along Amudipe Street in Akure South Local Government Area, reportedly forced party members, journalists, traders and schoolchildren to flee for safety as sporadic gunshots rang through the area.
The disturbance was said to have broken out during the counting of votes at the ward, where supporters of Senator Adeniyi Adegbomire, who currently represents Ondo Central in the Senate, had gathered for the primary election.
Eyewitnesses said armed men suspected to be political thugs stormed the venue and opened fire into the air, while also allegedly targeting the senator’s vehicle. Adegbomire was subsequently escorted away from the scene by security personnel attached to him.
The attackers were also reported to have wielded machetes, assaulting voters and disrupting the electoral process at the venue.
Reacting to the incident, Adegbomire described the exercise as a “charade,” alleging that the violence was orchestrated to prevent his supporters from participating in the primary.
According to him, the counting process at the ward had indicated that he was leading before the disruption occurred.
He explained that supporters of the three aspirants contesting the ticket had been lined up separately for counting when the attack began.
The senator alleged that once it became apparent that he had secured a significant number of supporters, armed thugs invaded the venue, fired shots and attacked party members.
Adegbomire further claimed that similar incidents were reported in other wards across the senatorial district, including Akure North and other parts of Akure South, where he alleged that his supporters were being intimidated and denied access to voting areas.
He accused those behind the violence of attempting to manipulate the outcome of the primary election in favour of another aspirant, Taiwo Fasoranti.
The lawmaker also alleged that some individuals were invoking the name of the Ondo State governor while carrying out acts of intimidation, although he stated that he did not believe the governor was directly involved.
Adegbomire said he had already communicated his concerns to the governor, detailing what transpired in his ward and the reports emerging from other parts of the district.
He called on the national leadership of the APC to intervene, insisting that the process could not be regarded as a credible election where voters were allegedly threatened, attacked and prevented from participating freely.
Despite the violence, the senator said he instructed his supporters to remain peaceful and avoid retaliation, urging them instead to document incidents occurring across the senatorial district.
The gunfire initially sparked widespread panic across Akure, with many residents reportedly mistaking the incident for an armed robbery attack.
Traders hurriedly shut their shops while motorists and commuters abandoned the area amid fears of a broader security threat.
However, calm later returned to the state capital as security operatives intensified surveillance around key locations, including the Ondo Central collation centre at St. Peter’s Unity Secondary School, Akure, where party officials continued collation activities.
The Ondo State Police Command subsequently dismissed reports suggesting that the gunshots were linked to an armed robbery operation.
The Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Jimoh Abayomi, said preliminary investigations and intelligence reports indicated that the incident was connected to activities of suspected political thugs.
According to the police spokesperson, the command had commenced further investigations into the incident while security personnel remained deployed to maintain law and order in the area.
This post has already been read at least 111 times!
