The Street Reporters Newspaper

…Breaking News with Integrity!

Adsense

Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC Limited) logo
News

Lawmakers To Probe NNPCL Over $60bn Revenue Loss To Inflated Contracts

Spread the love

This post has already been read 83 times!

Nigeria’s House of Representatives has expressed readiness to investigate the loss of over $60bn revenue due to alleged inflated cash calls by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited Joint Venture Agreements.

The resolution was passed sequel to the adoption of a motion sponsored by Hon Chike John Okafor, who solicited the House’s intervention with a view to ensuring accountability of public funds.

In his lead debate, Okafor who solicited the House’s intervention in line with the provision of Section 81 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), observed that NNPCL on behalf of the Federal Government operates Joint Ventures and related agreements with Private Oil Companies in the Oil and Gas sectors, with the aim of sustainable revenue generation and economic development.

ALSO READ  Akwa Ibom Police Arrests Ex-convict in Military Uniform, Recover Exhibits

“The House also notes that the NNPCL, as representatives of THEM Federal Government and Federation, have about 60% holding while other partners have the remaining 40%.

“The House further notes that the joint ventures operate under a ‘Joint Operating Agreement’ that spells out the responsibilities of each of the partners in the ventures.

“The House is concerned that due to bloated Cash Call Costs, the NNPCL Upstream Investment Management Services (NUIMS); a unit under the NNPCL in charge of negotiation of costs (both Capex and Opex) have caused huge losses in the neighborhood of $60 billion.

ALSO READ  Sanusi II Re-instated As Emir Of Kano 4 Years After He Was Dethroned, Banished

“The House is also concerned that the activities of NUIMS have resulted in huge revenue losses, fiscal deficits and an alarming debt profile.

“The House is aware of the need to ensure probity, transparency and value for money in the NNPCL Joint Venture operations,” he noted.

To this end, the House mandated its Committee on Finance to conduct a comprehensive investigation on all the NNPCL Joint Venture Operations to determine income and Cash Call costs due to each partner, especially the Federation/Federal Government of Nigeria and whether due process and diligence were observed in the exercise.

The Street Reporters Newspaper is reliable latest news portal and publishes opinions, business news, politics, and sports news from Nigeria and the world. Tel: +2348175047979

Discover more from The Street Reporters Newspaper

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading