A STATE-WIDE BROADCAST BY HIS EXCELLENCY, NYESOM EZENWO WIKE, GOVERNOR OF RIVERS STATE ON WEDNESDAY, MAY 13, 2020.
My Dear Good People of Rivers State,
3. However, while on routine monitoring, I observed how difficult it has been for residents to access money from their banks to make purchases during the Two-Day window that was given.
4. This difficulty has, no doubt, prevented most residents of the two affected Local Government Areas from preparing and making adequate provisions for the upkeep of their families when the lockdown returns.
6. Our own situation is not and can’t be different. COVID-19 is not only here with us; it is increasing in number of infections, as we recorded 16 new cases for today, the highest since the index case, which goes to confirm not only my personal apprehension for our State and the need to be tough in our mitigation strategies.
7. And so, there is no room for politics in this matter. We must discharge our abiding duty to use the primary weapons at our disposal to combat this virus and contain its spread, lest we regret the consequences of our inactivity and indiscretions.
8. We understand the consequential difficulties, but what we can do in the circumstance is to appeal to the public to endure the attendant discomfort as inevitable sacrifice for the common good of all.
9. Suffice to mention that no deliberate harm is ever intended or targeted at anybody, neither are we happy with the prevailing hardship on the people, as a result of measures we have adopted to fight this deadly virus.
10. But, the overall interest, security and wellbeing of our people remain our primary motivation for what we have done and will continue to do, to combat and protect our State from the COVID-19 scourge.
11. In consideration of the foregoing, the concerns of our people, and the need for residents to replenish their supplies, especially, the State Security Council has decided to impose a night-time curfew and review the effective date of the complete lockdown on Obio/Akpor and Port Harcourt City Local Government Areas from the 14th of May, 2020 to Sunday, 17th May, 2020 by 8.00 p.m.
12. Consequently, there will be:
(i) a night-time curfew in Obio/Akpor and Port Harcourt Local Government Areas from 8.00 p.m. to 6.00 a.m. on Thursday, 14th May 2020, Friday, 15th May 2020, and Saturday, 16th May, 2020.
(ii) while the total lockdown on Obio/Akpor and Port Harcourt Local Government Areas will immediately follow from 8.00 p.m. Sunday, 17th May, 2020 until further notice.
13. Furthermore, all residents are again advised to comply with all other established measures, including the compulsory wearing of face masks and the closure of our land, sea and air boundaries and entry routes, which are still in force.
14. We expect residents to make good use of the new four-day daytime window to purchase, restock and prepare for the total lockdown.
15. Once again, thank you for your cooperation as we continue to do all we can to stop the spread of this virus in our State with your support by staying at home and staying safe.
16. Thank you and God bless you all.The Street Reporters Newspaper is your BREAKING NEWS platform. Do you have Breaking news or Opinion article for us? | *Call: +234 817 504 7979 | Or Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org | Follow Us on Twitter https://twitter.com/streetreporters | Join Our Fans on Facebook: https://facebook.com/streetreporters.ng | Follow us on Instagram https://intagram.com/streetreporters | Advertise With Us: +2348035823617 | Visit Our Website: www.StreetReporters.ng