US Offers $10m for 'Mastermind' of 2019 Kenya Hotel Siege | The Street Reporters Newspaper US Offers $10m for 'Mastermind' of 2019 Kenya Hotel Siege | The Street Reporters Newspaper
2019 Kenya hotel siege

US Offers $10m for ‘Mastermind’ of 2019 Kenya Hotel Siege

84
Kindly Share this Story

This post has already been read 115 times!

The United States announced Thursday it was offering a reward of up to $10 million for a man described as the “terror mastermind” of a bloody hotel attack in Kenya four years ago.

It said it is seeking information on Mohamoud Abdi Aden, describing him as a leader of the Somalia-based Al-Shabaab jihadist group that has carried out several deadly attacks in neighboring Kenya.

The Al-Qaeda affiliated group claimed responsibility for the January 15, 2019 siege on the upmarket DusitD2 hotel compound in the Kenyan capital Nairobi that lasted almost 20 hours.

At least 21 people lost their lives, including a US citizen, and many more were injured. Kenya said at the time that all the assailants had been eliminated.

The Street Services And Media Resources International account details

“Mohamoud Abdi Aden, an Al-Shabaab leader, was part of the cell that planned the DusitD2 hotel attack,” the US ambassador to Kenya, Meg Whitman, told reporters in Nairobi.

ALSO READ  Fire Guts Ibadan Spare Parts Market

She said the US was offering a reward of up to $10 million for information leading to the arrest of Aden, described by the embassy as a Kenyan national, and others accused of involvement in the hotel siege.

Mohamoud Abdi Aden, leader of the Somalia-based Al-Shabaab jihadist group

The head of Kenya’s Directorate of Criminal Investigations, Amin Mohamed Ibrahim, described Aden as the “terror mastermind” behind the carnage.

The State Department designated Aden a “specially designated global terrorist” in October last year.

Al-Shabaab has repeatedly targeted Kenya since it sent its army into Somalia in October 2011 to fight the Islamist militant group.

ALSO READ  Northern Elders Forum mourns Ambassador Obiozor

In 2013, Al-Shabaab laid siege to the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi for four days, leaving 67 people dead.

In 2015, an attack on Garissa University in eastern Kenya killed 148 people, almost all of the students. Many were shot at point-blank range after being identified as Christians.

It was the second bloodiest attack in Kenya’s history, surpassed only by Al-Qaeda’s bombing of the US embassy in Nairobi in 1998 which killed 213 people.

ALSO READ  Old Naira Notes Deadline: Muslim Rights Group Sends Requests To CBN

Al-Shabaab, which has been waging a bloody insurgency against Somalia’s fragile central government for 15 years, has been designated a terrorist group by the US since 2008.

In November, Washington said it was increasing its reward to up to $10 million apiece for key Al-Shabaab leaders including “emir” Ahmed Diriye.

StreetReporters.ng


Kindly Share this Story



Subscribe
Notify of
guest
Enter your name
Enter a valid email address to comment
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x
Call Now ButtonCall Us Now!