Following increasing Boko Haram attacks on citizens, particularly in North Eastern part of Nigeria, the immediate past president, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, on Sunday urged Nigerians to continue to pray for peace and the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari in the fight against Boko Haram.
“I urge all Nigerians to continue to pray for peace in Nigeria and to support the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari as the government does its best to bring an end to these acts of terror and secure all Nigerians”, a statement, personally signed, on his verified Facebook page said.
The former president further noted that “the death of any Nigerian at the hands of terrorists is a sad reminder that the war on terror is a task for all Nigerians not just the armed forces”.
This message is coming after a male suicide bomber earlier on Sunday killed five people at the Redeemed Christian Church of God in Potiskum, Yobe state, Northeast Nigeria.
Worshipers at the church located in Jigawa area outskirts of Potiskum town told Channels Television on phone that the suicide bomber who detonated the Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) in the church also killed five other worshipers.
The Police Public Relations Officer ASP Toyin Gbadegesin who confirmed the incident says “A male suicide bomber at about 10 o’clock this morning detonated a bomb at the Redeemed Church Jigawa area in Potiskum killing five persons including the suicide bomber.
Another Summit on Boko Haram
French President Francois Hollande on Friday expressed readiness to organise a new summit of nations fighting Boko Haram after talks in the capital of Cameroon with President Paul Biya.
Cameroon is part of the Multi National Joint Task Force (MNJTF), a regional group of nations, including Nigeria, Niger and Chad, fighting Boko Haram.
“Nigeria and Cameroon need to have the best relations … to work together. This corresponds well with the spirit we had at our last summit in Paris to take important decisions about Boko Haram, whose threat is getting stronger,” Hollande told Reuters.
“I am ready to gather anew, as soon as the presidents give me a date, this conference so that we can better act together,” he added.
Former president, Jonathan participated in the summit held in May 2014 convened by President Hollande in Paris, where fresh strategies for dealing with the security threat posed by Boko Haran and other terrorist groups in West and Central Africa were discussed.
He was joined at the summit in Paris by Heads of State and Government of Benin Republic, Cameroon, Niger and Chad.The Street Reporters Newspaper is your BREAKING NEWS platform. Do you have Breaking news or Opinion article for us? | *Call: +234 817 504 7979 | Or Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org | Follow Us on Twitter https://twitter.com/streetreporters | Join Our Fans on Facebook: https://facebook.com/streetreporters.ng | Follow us on Instagram https://intagram.com/streetreporters | Advertise With Us: +2348035823617 | Visit Our Website: www.StreetReporters.ng